Sunday, January 3, 2010

Family Fun on the Ice






After a lot of persuasion, Ellis finally convinced me getting out on the ice would be both safe and fun. I still don't know about the safe part for I could hear the ice popping and it made a sound much like the one you hear after kicking a empty 50 gal drum followed by a vibration, but we did have lots of fun. With the sun shining we gathered up our cold weather attire and headed out to the Mendenhall Glacier. However, there was one condition that was nonnegotiable and it was that Hunter must wear a safety helmet that also applies to skiing, sledding, biking, horseback riding etc...I have worked with to many elementary age children that suffer from traumatic brain injury. The aftermath of such trauma causes a lifetime of learning disabilities that could have been prevented if only the child was wearing a safety helmet.Thankfully Ellis now wears a helmet skiing and like I told him bones break and heal but you only have one brain. So there you have it, call me a paranoid overprotective mother but it still won’t change my philosophy on wearing a helmets.

2 comments:

SarahJane said...

So fun! We wondered if you got out on the ice when we saw Ellis on Friday.

p.s. You aren't the only one thinking helmets are a good idea...there were so many kids there wiping out...it made my head hurt.

Unknown said...

Looks scary! I'm too much of a chicken to get out there! Helmet makes sense, totally understand! You keep being the overprotected mother!